Salt and Light

Salt and Light

As To The One Being Prayed To...

"When you pray, say: 'Father...'"
(Luke 11:2)
Lord, is it alright if I just sort of talk to You like this? I mean, I'm not even sure how to address You because--I'm not used to talking with a God. I'd feel strange saying, "Your Majesty" or "Your Holiness" (although those names are appropriate enough). But those words would make You seem--far away and terrifying. It would feel like talking to a volcano or an atomic bomb, or my boss, or the principal, or a judge who knows I'm guilty. Sometimes You seem like all of those to me. But when I pray to You, I need to see something gentler, kinder, wiser. Prayer begins with God. If He did not exist, there would be neither a reason to pray nor any hope of being heard. Prayer also ends with God. Once we have committed ourselves to His will, the matters about which we pray are out of our hands.